Sunday, May 14, 2017

10 of My Favorite Fictional Mothers/Mother Figures

Happy Mother's Day! It's been awhile since I've last posted but I have a feeling that I'll be able to start regularly posting from now on. At least I hope I will. :) I actually will have some pretty interesting news for you all tomorrow but let's focus on today's post!

Since today is Mother's Day where I live, I thought that I'd dedicate a post to some of my favorite fictional mothers. I have compiled a list of only 10 of my favorite literary, TV and/or movie moms. Now that I think about it, I can't really remember if I have any movie moms in my list. I guess we'll find out together, haha. Not going to lie but it was a tad bit difficult to think of around 5 really great moms (that I can compare to my mom, truthfully) that could be found in the books that I read. I mainly read Young Adult and not surprisingly there aren't too many authority figures present. But, nonetheless, I thought up some pretty great moms. So without further ado, let us get started!


(List is in no particular order.)


Created using Canva


1. Mrs. Weasley - Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling

 I thought of good ole Molly immediately! She was one of my first favorite fictional mothers that starred in the books that I read. If you have been living under a rock for quite a few years, then let me tell you about Molly Weasley. Mrs. Weasley is the mother of Ron and the rest of his siblings in the Harry Potter series. But she isn't just a mom to all of her kids! She also takes in Harry and Hermione as two of her own. She's incredibly caring, supportive, and strong. My favorite scene that includes her? It's when she protects Ginny from the horribleness that is Bellatrix. If you've read the last book, then you are smiling in fond memory with me. :)

2. Professor McGonagall - Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling 

While we are thinking about the greatness that is Harry Potter, I thought I'd also mention that I LOVE Professor McGonagall. Minerva might not have had any children of her own but she has been the mentor and authority figure of many students throughout her years. And that makes her a mother figure to me so... 
She is one of Harry's professors at Hogwarts and one that is pretty caring and supportive of her students. I love how she isn't afraid to say what she feels. She also makes sure to fight for the students whenever she can. :) 

3. Ms. McCall - Teen Wolf TV Series 

Jumping on over the small screen for this next incredibly strong mother! Melissa McCall is the mother to her teenage son Scott McCall who also happens to be a werewolf. Lots of fun times! But for real, if you haven't watched this yet, then you are seriously missing out. Scott's mom is one of my favorite TV moms though! She is a single mother dealing with a teen wolf! ;) She takes everything in stride and doesn't fail to stand beside her son and his friends. She's strong and supportive and very hardworking! #MamaMcCall

4. Patti Whitt - Sweet Evil Trilogy by Wendy Higgins 

So I'm not exactly sure if Patti's last name is Whitt but that's Anna's last name so I'm going with it. :) Patti is Anna's adoptive mother and one of my favorite YA mothers out there. For those who don't know, Sweet Evil is a sort of paranormal romance trilogy that is incredibly good. (READ IT!) Let's just say that Anna doesn't live a very normal life once things get going in the series and Patti is such a sweetheart when supporting Anna. She is such a genuinely good person and mothers everybody who stops by. She's strong, firm, and has such a big heart. I just love the relationship and trust between Anna and Patti and it's one of my favorite parts of the series! Mother Daughter duo for the win! 

5. Grandma Frost - Mythos Academy Series by Jennifer Estep

Grandma Frost! For those who don't know, Grandma Frost is one kick-butt grandmother. Gwen Frost is the protagonist of this series and Grandma Frost is her sole guardian. She's quirky, very strong, and an awesome baker. She's always baking cookies just for Gwen (and they sound amazing) and she's always there to support her when she's having a rough time. This grandma is such a great mix of cookies and hugs and fighting those villainous foes! Sigh, I love her. 

6. Lorelai Gilmore - Gilmore Girls TV Show

Annndd we are back to the small screen with the very well known, Lorelai Gilmore. One, I love her name. Two, she's such an awesome mom! Lorelai is so real and it's hard to not love her despite mistakes she might make. Regardless, Lorelai does her best to raise Rory on her own and to encourage her to be herself. Lorelai is supportive, strong, and pretty funny. I also love that she loves to eat and encourages the celebrating of food with Rory. Celebrating around food is pretty big in my family so I feel right at home when watching Lorelai and Rory on screen. 

7. Cassie Nightingale - The Good Witch TV Movies 

CASSIE! I remember when The Good Witch movie first aired on Hallmark. I was watching with my mom since it's kind of like a tradition to watch any and all Hallmark movies. Cassie was not actually a mother in that first movie but she ends up being a supportive female figure for the two young kids in the movie. I just love that she always has wisdom or some interesting line to share with everyone. She's incredibly patient and caring and very supportive of those two kids. :) I just love her! 

8. Nora Tate - Hollywood Heights TV Series

Not many of you probably know who Nora Tate is because Hollywood Heights was an American Telenovela that aired on Nick at Nite in, like, 2012. If you actually watched this show, then you'll know that Nora was pretty dang awesome. I really loved this show and how it had to do with this teen girl trying to make her dream to perform her own songs a reality. I also loved the fact that her mother, Nora, was so supportive of this dream. Nora is another single mother on this list and dedicated to caring and supporting her daughter. She's a great mix of firm and fun. She's just awesome and I wish that show was still around. Le sigh. 

9. Jennifer Honey - Matilda (Movie Version)

I have a small confession to make. I've never read Matilda... :( 
But I have watched the movie version and I absolutely love it! Watching Matilda had me falling in love with Miss Honey! I remember wanting a teacher exactly like her because she was so soft spoken and caring. Miss Honey might not be Matilda's mom but she does a fantastic job at caring for her and really helping Matilda to grow. She's a brave lady and was such a good person despite who she was raised by. And when Matilda gets to stay with Miss Honey forever? I CRIED!

10. Mrs. Garrett - My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick

And last but not least we head back to the literary world to gush about Mrs. Garrett. My Life Next Door is a contemporary YA about growing up, finding yourself, and falling in love with Jase. *Cough* I mean falling in love in general. Anyways, Samantha is our main character and spends some of her nights watching the large and happy family next door. Mrs. Garrett is the matriarch of that family and she's really something. We don't get too many scenes with her but her presence is strong. She has many kids that she raises and she still takes Samantha in as her own. Kinda like a Mrs. Weasley of contemporary YA I guess. Either way, she's pretty awesome and patient. :) 



Well, that's my list! I hope you enjoyed and I hope you have a Happy Mother's Day if you are in any way a mother or mother figure to someone else. Pets count. ;) Let me know if you adore any of these mothers too! 


Vanessa







No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind? :)