Thursday, October 24, 2013

The 5th Wave Review

The 5th Wave (The 5th Wave, #1)
The 5th Wave (The 5th Wave #1)
By Rick Yancey 
Published May 7th, 2013 by Putnam Juvenile 
457 pages

5 stars - Amazing!!





The Passage meets Ender’s Game in an epic new series from award-winning author Rick Yancey.

After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one.

Now, it’s the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth’s last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker. Beguiling and mysterious, Evan Walker may be Cassie’s only hope for rescuing her brother—or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up.

Review:

Wow! I don't know about anyone else but I found this book to be soo amazing! I first saw this on the shelf at Walmart while searching for more books to take home with me, and was instantly  intrigued. The cover looked intriguing and begged me to read the synopsis. What I read convinced me even more and so I picked it up. The 5th Wave is about aliens and the only books that I have read about aliens would be the Lux Series, a great series by the way. This book is definitely different from that series and I was glad. The world is a dark one, filled with dangerous beings who kill anyone in their path. But here's the problem, they look human. So who is to be trusted in a time where even your closet family could be on of the Others?

This is the main problem for Cassie and everyone else who survived the 4th wave. Cassie needs to find her brother because he is all she has left and vice versa. But it's just her and with no one to trust and no technology around it'll be difficult. Then there is Evan Walker, strange and intriguing, Cassie isn't sure if he can be trusted but he may be her only hope. There is also Ben, Cassie's old high school crush, along with many other lovable and dis-likable characters. The 5th Wave is told in Cassie's, Evan's, Ben's and Sammy's perspectives. Sammy is Cassie's little brother and definitely a cute and strong character. All these characters were strong and intriguing. I liked Cassie and I loved Ben and Evan, I can't make up my mind between either. They have all been through so much, as is expected when aliens are taking over the planet, but I still couldn't help feeling for them.

This book was just so thrilling and exciting and frightening at times. There was great suspense and some romance here and there, though not much. But here's the thing, I feel like I didn't even need that much romance because there was already so much going on and so many times when the characters I love could be killed. The story of the Others is interesting and really pulled me in, I finished this book in a day and hardly ever got up. I can't wait to read the next book because this one ended in a heart wrenching cliff hanger. I really need to know what will happen to the characters and what the 5th wave will be. Yancey brings us into a world full of mystery and suspense and does quite a good job. So if your into aliens be sure to check this out! If you aren't, try it anyway because you may be surprised, trust me! 

Vanessa

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind? :)