Thursday, July 5, 2012

A Kiss in Time Review

By Alex Flinn
Published April 28th, 2009
Publisher - Harper Teen
371 pages


4 stars - I really enjoyed this book




Summary


Talia fell under a spell...Jack broke the curse.

I was told to beware the accursed spindle, but it was so enchanting, so hypnotic...

I was looking for a little adventure the day I ditched my tour group. But finding a comatose town, with a hot-looking chick asleep in it, was so not what I had in mind.

I awakened in the same place but in another time—to a stranger's soft kiss.

I couldn't help kissing her. Sometimes you just have to kiss someone. I didn't know this would happen.

Now I am in dire trouble because my father, the king, says I have brought ruin upon our country. I have no choice but to run away with this commoner!

Now I'm stuck with a bratty princess and a trunk full of her jewels...The good news: My parents will freak!

Think you have dating issues? Try locking lips with a snoozing stunner who turns out to be 316 years old. Can a kiss transcend all—even time?



Ok so I picked this book up from the library or rather I downloaded it onto my Kindle from the library, you get it.  Anyways I wasn't really expecting this book to do as much for me as it did.  I liked the idea and figured I would give it a chance.  I was actually really satisfied with it.  


A Kiss in Time is a retelling of Sleeping Beauty.  It starts off in the 1700's with Talia's point of view.  Talia is a bratty 15 year old princess who has been warned all her life to never touch a spindle.  Why?  Because Talia was cursed when she was born by the evil which, Malvolia.  If she pricks her finger on the spindle she and the whole kingdom will fall under a deep sleep only to be woken by true loves first kiss.  Well at this time Talia is getting pretty tired of being locked up in her castle and protected for something she doesn't really think will happen.  But it does and the eve before her 16th birthday.  Talia pricks her finger and thus everyone ends up sleeping for 300 years.  Now comes Jack a 17 year old boy who could be described as lazy and a slacker.  He's on a European tour that he doesn't want to be on at all.  So for a little adventure Jack convinces his friend to leave the tour guide and try to find a beach.  Instead he finds Talia's castle...and then he kisses her.  After that the whole castle wakes up and the village as well.  But is Jack really Talia's true love?  With the king being mad about losing his kingdom, Jack agrees to help Talia runaway.  They both end up going back to Jack's home in Miami, Florida where Jack has some problems with his parents as well.  And as the days go on the pair finds out how they really feel about each other.  But of course Malvolia won't leave things alone and pays a visit to Talia.  Will Jack be able to rescue Talia once more? 


So the book goes on in 3 parts with the point of view switching from Talia to Jack.  I really liked how the characters where able to grow as the story goes on because Talia did kind of annoy me at first but she grew kinder.  Jack also learned how to deal with some of the family problems in his life.  I love how we got to hear Malvolia's side of the story and her reasons for what she did.  It was also interesting to see how Talia and the rest of the people who were asleep for 300 years adapted to the 21st century.  All in all I think this was  a very nice retelling of Sleeping Beauty and it was a fun read.  I'm looking forward to reading some more of Alex Flinn's books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind? :)